Re: Brake fluid

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 07:57:28, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

David;
We have a guy here who has insisted on using DOT5 in his Morgan ( 1953)
The first time he put it in was during our clubs spring Beer Chili and
Grease  Feast ( see note below)  The car spent three weeks in my garage
with us trying  every way possible to bleed the brakes.  We got them to
work after rebuilding the master and pressure bleeding the system.

A few years later he had to tear down the brake system due to a accident
and after repairing the car  he spent  months trying to get the system
to work again. Last word I had the car was still in the garage on jack
stands. He again rebuilt the master which didn't work and even tried a
new master with no success.

Given the time , money and effort he has placed in trying to install a
low maintenance  fluid he could have put in Dot 3  and flushed the
system every three months and come out ahead.

The only advantage DOT 5 has over DOT 3 is the fact it does not absorb
water thus reduces the chance of corrosion. Flushing a DOT 3  system
every year would accomplish the same thing and allow you to also have
the advantages of DOT 3. ..+++++++++++++++NOTE++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++

 Beer, Chili & Grease Feast = Our local club would set up at a members
house and members could bring over their car for a full inspection of
the under carriage, Oil change and grease job.  By doing it together you
got others opinions as to weak spots in your car, and often grease
fittings which the owner was unaware of got the first shot of grease  or
oil in a long time.
( Example : when was the last time you put a few drops of oil under the
rotor on the distributor or oiled the rear bearing of the generator ?)
  Bob Nogueira
------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Thursday, 13-Feb-97 04:21 PM
>
> From: David Pat                \ Internet:    (pdburket@intrepid.net)
> To:   aMORGANS@autox.team.net  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Brake fluid
>
> Fellow Morganeers,
>
> I have just completed the installation of  the braking system on my
'60 Plus 4.
>  All components are new.   I believe that I have an opportunity to
choose
> either DOT 3 or DOT 5 brake fluid into my system.  I have read about
the
> advantages and disadvantages of both types of fluids in regards to
collector
> cars.  I would prefer to use the newer DOT 5 fluid (silicone base),
but have
> some reservations that are listed as follows;
>         1. Is there a mechanical brake switch that could be installed
as a
> replacemant to the standard brake switch?   I understand a  mechanical
switch
> should preserve the reliability the of brake lights when DOT 5 fluid
is used.

>         2. Will the the new vintage era replacement wheel cylinders
supplyed
> for Morgans weep DOT 5  fluid after a period of use?
>
>         3. Has anyone out there actually replaced the fluid in a
rebuilt
> braking system with DOT 5 fluid? and if so, what was your experience?
>
>          4. What type of fluid is currently used on modern Morgans?
How does