More detailed description regarding marine paint

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More detailed description regarding marine paint
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:46:16 -0500
Fellow Morganeers,

Back again.  A more complete description about the marine paint in
question.  The paint is described in my catolog as a TOPSIDE paint.
Chemically the paint is an enamel with a blend of urethane, silicone and
alkyd.  Being chemically challenged, I don't  have a clue what these
components should do in the making of paint.  Would paint made with these
components breath?

Alan Alderwick describes the type of paint that causes cocooning (
preventing breathing ) in wood as BITUMASTIC.  This must be an English term
because I could not find it in The New  American Webster Dictionary.  Is
anyone out there familia with  bitumastic type paint?  Chemically how
closely does bitumastic paints relate to the paint described in the first
paragraph?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you may share regarding the
aforementioned paints.

Morgan dittos,

David