Proper paint for wood framing

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Proper paint for wood framing
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:07:32 -0500
Fellow Morganeers,

I am currently preping my body frame for mounting to chassis.  Due to the
poor condition of the original body, I purchased a body from the factory.
I read that an additional way to preserve the wood was to paint the wood.
I purchased a brand of marine paint called Easypoxy manufactured by Pettit.
Originally I had planned to only paint the underside of the sealboards and
inside the rear wheel well.  Recently I was speaking to John Sheally about
my restoration.  He suggested that I paint the entire frame.  He used sign
painters' enamel on his cars' wood.

I read in Alan Alderwick book ( How to Restore Wooden Body Framing ) that
paint should breath.  The author said that wood that didn't breath would
excelerate rot. I called Pettit about the paints I was using.  The
information I got was that their marine paints was a sealent.  I was asked
the condition of the wood which I described as fairly fresh and  in good
shape.  He said that as long as the wood didn't stay wet that I should not
have a problem.  He also said that the marine paint  would seal air from
the wood, and that it was in constant use by boat builders.

I am trying to avoid the potential of destroying the wood by my efforts to
preserve it.  My question to anyone out there who may have knowledge or
first hand experience in this matter are the following questions.

        1. Has anyone used marine paints on wood body framing?
        2. Was the paint the type that sealed wood from outside air?
        3. How long ago was the painting done?
        4. Have you noticed any rot in areas where paint was applied?

Again I have come up with a long drawn out list of question.

Morgan dittos,

David