FW: new Morgan options

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: new Morgan options
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 97 11:22:00 PST

>Thanks to all who replied to my request for opinions about the options
>available on a new Morgan.   Our number is now up, and we have to specify!

>Having just been down to the factory again,  I have the following
questions,
>some of them picking up from previous responses:

>1.  Aluminium vs. steel.  The car is to be a workhorse.  The guys in the
>factory, and some respondents, seem to recommend aluminium body, but steel
>wings.  Q: is there a wing rust problem with steel, or has this been sorted

>by modern paints and rustproofing?  Are the ali wings *really* prone to
>denting from stones?

My 1992 +4 is a Alloy bodied. The option on the build card was alloy bonnet
and doors.  Note that the Scuttle and cowl remain Steel even on "all alloy"
bodies.

Things to watch as your car gains that patina of love and use

     Paint chips especially round the wing edges.
     Wear under the Bonnet where it chafes on the scuttle and cowl
     Wear on the body where the doors chafe (draft excluder helps)
     Flaking powder coat on the minor parts and the bulkhead.
     Cracked and flaking underseal

They may be better by now, but I have seen others at 2 and three years old
at Mog events with similar issues.

>2. Door handles. Q: Even when running with the hood up, are these  useful?
>(I gave up locking convertables a long time ago).

I have door handles and never lock them, but if you plan to use it as a
 "workhorse" and intend to leave it parked in the wet in the winter, they at
least prevent a possible shower when the water collected on the roof runs
down your neck as you reach inside.

>3.  Wheel options on the Plus Four are chrome wires (not with SS spokes) or

>silver(ish) stove enameled wires  (painted no longer available).   Is the
>chrome significantly difficult to maintain?

Stove enamel wheels are not trouble free on a high mileage car, they do
suffer stone chips. They are easy to clean and do look very nice especially
with a dark contrasting body. I have seen colour schemes with Stove enamel
wheels matching the seat piping, but the one I saw a couple of years back
which was canary yellow with green wheels was a bit over the top  (or maybe
I am just prejudiced).  I am told that the issue with Chrome wires is rust
on the wires themselves especially on a high use car I have no evidence to
back this up.

Whatever you do; do not attempt to use phosphoric acid based products to
remove the rust from chips on a stove enamel wheel as it turns the silver
finish black.

>4. Resale vaule.  My dealer says that I should have leather to aid resale
>vaule.  Others have suggested that the "classic" green and subdued colours
>are likely to hold value better than, for example, a bright red or yellow.

>Any views or experience?   I ask, because I was thinking of Ferrari Yellow,

>with black ambla (synthetic) !

Why would you want to sell it?

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 seater (Black)