4/4 s

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 4/4 s
From: CobMeister@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:47:06 -0500 (EST)
Hey Gang,

 The April-May issue of British Car Magazine includes an article which
compares the handling, performance, and driveability of 4 vehicles: MG TC
('49), Jaguar XK 140 ('56), Triumph TR3 ('57), & Morgan 4/4 ('65). The
article was written by an East Coast Gentleman (and I use the term advisedly)
named Michael Cook.

 To cut to the chase: Mr. Cook rates the vehicles (best to worst) for
driveability in the following order: Triumph TR3, MG TC, Jaguar XK 140, and
(in LAST place for driveability) Morgan 4/4. I should also point out that,
judging from the accompanying photos, the LHD 4/4 is a VERY nice looking car,
well set up including 1600cc with Webbers.

 (All four of the cars in the article are very nicely done.)

 Most of you, like me, probably have more than passing knowledge of the 4
tested vehicles, albeit in various configurations and of various years. So,
you might well ask, how on earth did Mr. Cook wind up with such a perverse
ranking?

 Suffice it to say that Mr. Cook did not even start the engine on the 4/4!
Seems he had a LOT of trouble just getting into the car... As he says, "The
Morgan, even though I never turned the key, places fourth for making me tired
just getting into it."

 Yet one of the photo illustrations opines, "The Mog offers exciting
performance in the most basic roadster package possible."

 Soooo...

 Buy the mag, read the article, see what you think.

 I should also point out that Mr. Cook is the only person I have ever heard
of who was offered the opportunity to actually DRIVE a Morgan and turned it
down! Turned it down! This is a sports car enthusiast?

 As we say out here in the Land of Enchantment, "No HUEVOS!"

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM
 '66 Plus Four 4 Seater Roadster & '36 F2 Three-Wheeler