Re: Nails, tacks, or screws?

To: Bill Yarborough <blyarb@cs1.presby.edu>,
Subject: Re: Nails, tacks, or screws?
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 97 05:21:11 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

   Bill ash is a pretty hard wood. If you use brass screws you will have to
get the hole in the wood just the right size and if over tightened the screw
will break. The tacks that John Blair mentioned and small stainless steel
screws worked well for me. If the tack ever starts to come loose its bad
wood or stress on the panel .

A suggestion, paint, not  just prime under the half round on the back panel.
also use some 3M drip chek  between the 1/2 round and the panel . Nothing
you do is going to keep water from getting under there but the paint will
prevent rust and the drip check will slow the water entering .

Bob Nogueira

> Date: Monday, 31-Mar-97 03:27 PM
>
> From: Bill Yarborough          \ Internet:    (blyarb@cs1.presby.edu)
> To:   MORGANS@autox.team.net   \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Nails, tacks, or screws?
>
> Greetings!
>
> I am in the final (yeah, right!) stages of a 4-year ground up restoration
of my
> 1961 +4.  A significant aspect of the process was the purchase of a brand
new
> tub (all the wood and most of the sheet metal other than the wings and
bonnet)
>  and a new firewall from the factory.  Both were badly rotted or rusted.
>
> Now I'm ready to attach the rear panel to the wood along the back and the
> firewall to the wood at the front.  My question is, what is the best/right
> fastener to use here?  There are no holes yet in the edge of the firewall
or
> the rear panel, and I plan to use a punch to make them neatly rather than
> drilling them.  When I disammbled this car in the spring of 1993, these
> locations were attached with a variety of screws of different materials
and
> sizes and tacks.  I'm leaning toward brass screws, but there must be a
good
> reason why that's not what was used before.  Advice??!!
>
> TIA
>
> Bill Yarborough

Bob Nogueira
74 MGBGT