Morgan +4 wheels, windshield seals: Questions and Searches

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Morgan +4 wheels, windshield seals: Questions and Searches
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:15:54 -0500
     (1) I am looking for four 16" pressed steel (not wire) wheels for my
     57 +4. (I am in New England.) If you've one or more to sell, let me
     know your delivered price. I prefer wheels in good shape, will
     consider any. If you are not interested in parting with your 16"
     wheels, please advise on what success you've had with various tires in
     the 5 to 5.5 x 16 range? I am currently running 5.25 x 16 H.M.
     Tourists. Believe it or not, they aren't all that bad, but I want to
     put stickier tires on another set of wheels for track use.

     (2) IN or OUT? There's a rubber seal or gizmo along the southern edge
     of my windshield. It has always been flopped towards the front, with
     cut-outs for the wiper motor, but a Morgan Expert (!) told me that it
     should be flopped towards the inside of the car. This is not a folding
     windshield. This seems wrong to me, but pictures in Morgan Books show
     this thing both ways. (They probably came out of the shop both ways,
     knowing How Things Are Done at Malvern.) This is coming up as an issue
     now because I'm  going to add some holes for an additional mirror, to
     use when I take the windshield (ok, windscreen) off for track use. I
     would like to only make one set of holes in the car. If I put the
     rubber inside it will hide these holes when I've got the windshield on
     the car.

     (3) Rubber Blocs or No Rubber Blocs and How to Attach Them? There are
     two rubber blocs about the size of a cannoli that go between the axle
     and the frame. I have a pair, they are drilled for screws to tap into
     the frame, but the holes in the frame are Gone. (The frame was
     repaired by a previous tenant.) Why not slap some pliobond on the
     bottom of these guys and glue them in, rather than punching holes in a
     perfectly good repair job? I know, from potholes, why the blocs are
     good to have, but weakening the frame here with holes seems like a
     very bad idea,frankly.

     (4) Gas guages and fuel cells. I am having no luck getting a Fuel Safe
     solid state fuel sender to work with my positive-grounded ca. 1957
     fuel guage/ ohmmeter.(I've just put a fuel cell in this car.) The
     fellows who build the fuel sender don't have much to say about this
     except "It won't work" but I recall talking to two Morgan Experts
     within the past year who breezily assured me that its a straight shot
     hook up with the quality Fuel Safe products. My alternative is easy,
     another gas guage, probably mounted behind the driver's seat with a
     off/on switch and an in-line fuse, but this is messy. The range of the
     guage is from 0 to 90 ohms, I think. Any ideas?

     (5) Remote coolant reservoirs. I am currently using a catch bottle,
     mounted next to the left wheel well, to catch Vesuvius when coolant
     boils out of the radiator. I think I need to put an unsprung cap on
     the top of the radiator, run some fuel line back from the overflow to
     a bottle above the top of the radiator with a 4-5 lb pressurized cap
     to stop the Volcano. If you've done this and have a parts combination
     that works, please let me know how you've done it. If I don't hear
     from anybody and come up with a system, I will report back to you all.