Re: "tu tiene no huevos"

To: gdm@po.cwru.edu, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "tu tiene no huevos"
From: CobMeister@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 13:13:51 -0500 (EST)
Hey Dave et al,

>Let me take a stab at this one Colin. "tu tiene no huevos" or something
>like that would be the epithet you would use when daring someone to do
>something an otherwise sane individual might otherwise not do. It is a
>taunt which is bound to launch a young male into action, as it suggests in
>no uncertain terms that his manhood is being called into question.

 Gee, Dave, all that higher education is finally coming in handy!

 Actually, if my memory of high school Spanish serves me well, "tu" would be
a bit too... personal? formal? close? affectionate? I think "tu tiene no
huevos" would be sort of like saying, "Sweetie, you have no (eggs)."
Definitely NOT something you want to be saying after midnight in a blind pig.

 You'd be much better off to just look at the guy, lift one corner of your
upper lip in a sneer, and mutter "no huevos." That way the worst that will
happen is you'll be picking yourself up and dusting yourself off... not nice,
but ever so much pleasanter than what might follow from the other approach.

 I should also point out that there are very, very few "otherwise sane
individuals" down here and NONE that are both young and sane.

 Speaking of insanity, I just had a call from the guy who is coordinating the
area British Car Show here in a couple of weeks. I had previously agreed to
enter my '36 Trike but have resisted entering my '66 Plus 4 because it wants
painting really badly and I feel guilty as hell. Paint job or no, the car
show folks want the '66 RHD Four Seater entered because... well, I guess so
it could add a touch of class and dignity to the whole affair.

 Anyway, the Coordinator Guy pointed out that the judging committee had
decided that both of my Morgans would be entered in the same class.... but
wait a minute, the classes at this little show are not set up by marque. No,
the class in question is the "Pre-war Class." Since the war in question is
World War II, this struck me as quite amusing.

 "How," I asked, "did y'all come to that conclusion?" (My background comes
out in moments of high humor and low dudgeon.)

 "Well," he answered, "it LOOKS pre-war!"

 "What if," I asked, "someone wanted to enter a '96 Morgan?"

 "That," he answered, "would be pre-war, too."

 I think he hung up at that point but I was laughing so hard I really
couldn't say for sure.

 Oh, the things we Morganists put up with...

--Colin Cobb, Pre-war himself, but just barely
'66 Plus 4 & '36 F2 Three-Wheeler