Where Have All The (16") Wheels Gone?

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Where Have All The (16") Wheels Gone?
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:56:49 -0400
     Do you have some decent 16 inch rims gathering dust in your garage
     from a 50's era plus four? Do you know anybody who does? Are you
     interested in keeping the old Morgans authentic? Would you like more
     money to spend on spares you do need? If so, please contact me at
     ebrown@ms.com. Let me know the quality of your rim and how much you
     want for it and I will contact you.

     This past weekend I drove at the Poconos Speedway with the VSCCA in
     their Spring series there. The good news is that my 57 +4 held
     together nicely. The bad news is that my car was woefully
     uncompetitive because I am using street tires (HM Tourist from Avon,
     basically reproduction cross ply street treads in 5.25 x 16) and while
     it was fun to drift around the FRESHLY PAVED track using the throttle
     to steer the car (!!!) it meant I was a whole lot slower than three of
     the other +4's which were there and only slightly quicker than a '38
     Series I with 17 x 4.75 cross plies and much less displacement.

     I would like to find some 16 inch wheels to put some better rubber on
     the car. I know that it will be easier (marginally) to find some 15
     inch rims, but I'd like to keep the old car "old" and original. If
     need be, I will buy some 15" rims for street use and put racing rubber
     on my 16s.

     What's frustrating about this search is that I talk to people all the
     time who put their 16" wheel aside (but no longer own them...) to go
     with the wider tire selection available for 15" wheels. So there are
     probably rims stacked up in barns and cellars, quietly rusting away.

     Chip Brown (ebrown@ms.com)