7HA axle breather

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 7HA axle breather
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 20:23:09 +1000
Hi all,

After playing around with chronically leaky rear axle oil seals for some
months somebody asked me what should have been the obvious question.

"Is the breather hole in the rear axle blocked?"

Simple I thought. I had noticed a small drill hole when I had the axle out
during a chassis repair some years back. Trouble is I now can find no trace
of any breather hole despite scraping off a considerable amount of paint.
This would suggest that the hole has been well and truly blocked. Can
anyone tell me where I should start looking for the breather hole. It must
be either at the top of the centre casing or axle tubes but WHERE?

While on the subject is there a correct protocol for fitting the inner and
outer axle oil seals? It was suggested to me that the inner seals require
pre-soaking in oil for a period of days. Is this correct.

And to rekindle a recent discussion is there any decent method for removing
oil from brake linings other than buying new ones?

Happy motoring

Steve Moore

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture