A Final Word on Head Gaskets Decarbonizing

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A Final Word on Head Gaskets Decarbonizing
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:05:40 -0400
     Mr. Vandergraaf's citation on decarbonizing gaskets reminds me of a
     huge question: According to one of our respected Fairfield County
     Connecticut mechanics (who will remain nameless here, but is really a
     good guy) the best way to decarbonize a cylinder head short of a
     rebuild is to gradually feed water into the intake of the carburetter,
     putting in about one quart per cylinder. The trick, he says, is to
     keep the car running while you are doing this. The proof that it
     works: how clean the head and valves are of a car with a really bad
     blown head gasket.

     I don't know about this and can think of a million reasons why I don't
     want to do this to any motor car I care about. Have any of the rest of
     you tried this, heard about it, have an opinion? It sounds very
     strange but I have a lot of respect for the guy I heard it from.

     Chip Brown