Radiators again

To: smanwell@xenergy.com
Subject: Radiators again
From: GOTom@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:05:01 -0400 (EDT)
Steve, please excuse the duplicate message.  I tried to cc: the morgan list
but it was rejected.  I am hopeful that some one might offer some hints and
this is the easiest way to resend.  In addition to the below, I also need
four 5.5x16 rims for this buggy as the old ones are so soft that they bend
too easy when mounting tires.  Would you have a leads as to where to look?

<< Found photos of an earlier transition '54 4str in original condition with
the same            mounting as mine, but also found photos of a '52 or '3
flat rad 4 seater and a mid '50's cowled-front drophead -- both with the
stays connected to the forward-most face of firewall (i.e. below the toolbox)
at the upper/outer corners.  In this position the stays slope downward and
outward quite a lot. >>

Steve, must appear that this response has mold on it.  I was looking through
old mail and came accross it and decided to tickle you brain a bit.  I am at
the point of positioning or mounting the radiator which involves 1) mounting
an "orgional" rear hood bracket on the sheetmetal at the windshield (the
previous bracket had been southern engineered and was an "L" shaped piece of
tin with an oval bracket braised onto it into which the hood hinge slipped.)
 2) Replacing the front "remanufactured oval bracket" with an "orgional".
 3). Cutting a new hinge to match the length of the hood (the old hinge had
been modified to fit the "remanafactured" brackets) and installing.  This
proceedure plus matching the radiator to the hood seems to give it the proper
slant and positioning in relationship to the fan and engine although the
braces going back to the firewall do not seem to fit any of the predrilled
holes.  I decided to just find a convienent place and attach them there.
 Also, as I have had twin SU's installed,  the most likely "orgional" holes
on the right side are now blocked so there is not really much else to do.
 The last piece of the puzzle was in regards to the cowal on which the rear
hood bracket installs.  On mine the metal was a cut out.  This left a
rectangular hole.  I could not determine if that, on the orgional the metal
was recessed or streight accross with the bracket sitting on top of it.
 Unless someone tells me differently I will place a piece of metal under the
hole (to fill the hole) and let the hood bracket rest in the recess.  Can you
tell from any of your picturers how they are made?

I am getting excited.  After sitting for 20+- years I hope to have it on the
road in a couple of months and although there will still be hardware to
finish up it will have, from the ground up, been painted, upholstered, engine
overhauled, new tires, new radiator, new front brake drum, front end rebuilt,
brakes, 90% new wood, lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s, a few skinned knuckles and
a much releaved wife who will finally have a space in the garage in which to
park.

How is 54 comming along?  To what extent are you restoring it?  John'
articles were really a great help as have all of the other tips passed on by
others.

Tom Gainer
53 Flat Rad