Re: Radiators again

To: ebrown@ms.com
Subject: Re: Radiators again
From: GOTom@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:18:32 -0400 (EDT)

<< Your description is very hard to follow, but I have a 1957 Plus Four in
very
 original condition and could take some pictures and send same to you if you
can
 tell me where specifically to shoot. There are twin metal rods extending
from
 the radiator to the toolbox on my car.   >>

Chip,  on the 53 radiator the radiator support rods connect in the center of
the radiator on the upper tank.  They then extend to the firewall to where I
dont know as my fire wall looks like swiss cheese (many holes).  There are no
holes that the rods really mate to and as I didnt take it apart I am at a
loss as to where they should go.  However, this is probably academic at this
point as I have a new manifold supporting twin SU's and it appears that (if
the rods went to the outside edges of the firewall) the rods will need to be
moved in to get over the carbs.  So I guess the real question now is " at
what angle should the radiator be fixed at and how close to the fan should it
be?" It appears, by the length of the hood hinge that some of the puzzle is
predetermined however, other insights would be helpful before I bolt it up.

<<I have been casting about on this net  site and elsewhere for 16" wheels
and haven't found any, had any responses. An  ad in the latest "Miscellany"
of the MSCC advertises 16" wheels (alum.) in a  variety of widths, but I bet
they're pricey and not original appearing.>>

Hummmmmm...... pricey alum wheels.  Worth a look (at least for me).  I had
mine trued however it still took 20#'s of lead per to get them balanced (at
least that is what it looks like).  It appears that in additon to being out
side to side they have a vew flat spots in the oval too and when they are
spinning on the balance machine they look like they can't decide which way to
go, up, down, right or left.  Might be fun to drive at 60 although I don't
remember a problem when I last drove it (1974) but my memory may be slipping.
 Anyway, I'll ck MSCC.

Thanks
Tom
53 Flat Rad