Re: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net, ebrown@ms.com
Subject: Re: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs
From: Jonathan_Russell@placerdome.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 09:38:22 PST
     I use Avon 195 60 15s on my wide body 92 4/4. These are low profile
     tyres. I put 22psi front and back.

     Jonathan Russell, Vancouver BC Canada.

Subject: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs
Author:  ebrown@ms.com at ~Internet
Date:    6/20/97 9:25 AM

     Ok, here goes. Having worked out my wheel shimmy, I am now happily
     tooling around Silvermine with about 28 pounds of air in my brand-new
     Michelin X-stop tires/tyres. Very jiggly at low speeds, handles nicely
     at high speeds.

     I have various notes from different folks about how much air people
     put in their tires/tyres. Range seems to be from 16 pounds to 30
     pounds, which is quite a range. I'd like to hear from some of you who
     also drive on the track how much air you put in your fronts and rears,
     and from some of the rest about how much "road air" you generally use?

     Question #2: My long-gone Volvo PV544 had a locating arm which
     attached to the rear axle and then to the chassis, parallel to the
     axle. I think it is called a Panhard rod after the French engineer,
     but won't swear to that. It's job was to locate the rear axle from
     side-to-side and front-to-back while the axle moved up and down with
     load and road and rotated about it's axis just for fun.

     Morgans don't have these kind of locating structures. Leaf springs,
     drive shafts and U-bolts seem to wholly locate the axle. Is this true,
     or is my car missing an apparently vital piece of machinery? I do
     notice that the axle crabs quite a bit when I go around a corner with
     great force, adding to my excitement of driving and relocating the
     axle an inch or so to the right or left with some noise.

     I notice that Br'er Sisson, bastardizer extraordinaire of the Morgan
     Motor Car, doesn't yet have a Thing/Fix for axle crab or (pardon the
     expression, which will be well-known to older members of this ee-mail
     list) axle tramp, which is (I guess) when the whole axle gizmo wants
     to rotate up as the wheel/tire/tyre assemblies try to turn down and
     roll the car forward.

     Any thoughts? On either tire/tyre pressure or axle crab or tramp?

     Chip Brown