Re: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs

To: ebrown@ms.com
Subject: Re: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:07:10 +0100
ebrown@ms.com writes

        Snip
>     I have various notes from different folks about how much air people
>     put in their tires/tyres. Range seems to be from 16 pounds to 30
>     pounds, which is quite a range. I'd like to hear from some of you who
>     also drive on the track how much air you put in your fronts and rears,
>     and from some of the rest about how much "road air" you generally use?

I usually put 18psi in the car for road use or 20psi for light
competition- no roll cage so I can't do any heavy stuff!

>     Question #2: My long-gone Volvo PV544 had a locating arm which
>     attached to the rear axle and then to the chassis, parallel to the
>     axle. I think it is called a Panhard rod after the French engineer,
>     but won't swear to that. It's job was to locate the rear axle from
>     side-to-side and front-to-back while the axle moved up and down with
>     load and road and rotated about it's axis just for fun.

Dave Rutherford in the UK can sell you a panhard rod or full watts
linkage for your Morgan if you get excessive axle tramp. For most road
use (and "light" competition), the extra location just seems like excess
weight to me. Then again, I cannot spin my wheels in the first three
gears :-)
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4