Re: project escalation - Morgan +4

To: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Subject: Re: project escalation - Morgan +4
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:39:22 +1000
George,

The factory would certainly be able to supply this. Most front
suspension/brake parts did not change significantly from the  mid 1950s up
until the mid 1990's. The good old Morgan philosophy of "If it works don't
change it". The factory parts department happily take credit card orders
over the phone. If the parts are small enough to post delivery takes 6-8
days to Australia. This is quicker than I can get parts for my 1997 model
Mitubishi (6 weeks to replace faulty rear brake discs)! Price is usually
surprisingly low as well.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>Well, I have the rear axle ready to go to the shop to have the axle tube
>welded to the differential case so I went to work on the front disk
>brakes.  Besides needing new pistons, I find that the right side caliper
>had one of the mounting holes rewelded to fix a fracture when the car
>had a right front collision years prior to my ownership.  I knew about
>this damage since the original tube front end was repaired on the right
>side.  I had replaced the front member during my first "restoration"
>some 20 years ago.  The caliper repair seems fine.
>
>Now upon looking closer at the right front rotor, I see that it is a
>substitute for the original.  It is the proper diameter and offset, but
>is measurably thinner than the other side.  It also had four mounting
>holes originally which were braised up and 5 holes drilled to mount up
>to the Morgan knock off hub.
>
>I'd like to get an original rotor.  Any thoughts as to what I can match
>it to?
>
>George Gerth
>ggerth@west.net
>63 +4