Alaska Run update -- July 12

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, morgans@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alaska Run update -- July 12
From: brit_run@juno.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 22:43:49 -0500
Greetings from Denver Colorado,

Yes, it is a big jump from Bellingham, Washington, to Denver, Colorado,
in two days.  But .....

Our last post  "update July 9" should have said "update July 10".  It's a
long story, but we managed to loose a page off the calendar a few days
earlier.  What we thought was the 9th was actually the 10th, and we were
running one day behind schedule.  Friday night we were in Mountain Home,
Idaho, just after midnight, considering what to do for camping or such,
when we figured out that it was really the morning of Saturday the 12th
and not the 11th. Immediately we knew we weren't going to make the start
of the Oil Spot Rally in Fort Collins, Colorado on Saturday morning.

After about one minute's consideration, rather than settling down for the
night we turned the MGA south and set the cruise control for about 80
mph.  At 6 am we stopped momentarily in Burley, Idaho, to call Larry Hoy
and let him know we would be late and arriving at Fort Collins well after
noon.  We did finally arrive in Fort Collins at 5 pm, having missed all
of the scheduled festivities.  Thinking back on it, we had managed to
travel a little over 1300 miles in 30 hours.  After a couple of phone
calls we made connections with Ray Glabach and family in Fort Collins,
and had a nice visit while we helped eat up the leftover goodies from the
rally barbecue.

Now being nearly midnight on Saturday the 12th, we are about to get some
well deserved sleep.  In the morning, Sunday the 13th, we are going run
Pike's Peak as planned.  We will be at the entrance gate to the park at
11 am, and will be joined by at least a couple of other LBCs for the run
up to the top.  The MGA with an attitude has been there once before,
enjoying every minute of it, and we intend to do it up right again (with
vigor).  Any one getting the message in time is encouraged to join us.

G'night all.  Will be checking in again later.

Barney and Carol