Re: Tyres/tires

To: arlin robins <arlin@slip.net>
Subject: Re: Tyres/tires
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:22:12 -0700
arlin robins wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions/sources re: reasonable (in Price and Performance)
> rubber for my '61 +4 Roadster. She's currently undershod in 145 SR
> 15" Kleber C-1's--no longer available in any size. I've checked TireRack,
> Discount Tire, Universal, Coker's, Wheelworks, and sundry local (SF Bay
> area) sources.
>         The limited choices in a 165 x 15 run from the unaffordable to
> the unheard-of. Somewhere in between are Michelin XZX, Continental CT-22,
> Dunlop SP-20. Is there a clear choice among these for performance
> (handling & braking--not longevity)? Am I overlooking a performance tire
> bargain by ignoring the private label offerings?
>         When I find my 165 x 15s, Is anyone out there interested in a
> nearly new set of 4 145 SR 15 Kleber's?
>         Thanks.
>
> Michael Jhon
> arlin@slip.net
> '61 +4 Roadster "MOGNFIQ" Michael-Well, they're not very fashionable, but I
>use 165x15 steel
'Metric' radials from Kelly-Springfield.I bought these from Belle Tire in
Detroit during one of those "TIRES AS LOW AS $19.99!" sales about 5
years ago.Guess what size was available at $19.99?The tubes ran another
$8 each. Overall, these appear to be pretty good tires, and substantially
stickier than the Uniroyal-Germany 155x15 that they replaced, making
steering with the throttle a bit more difficult.I figure these can't be
much worse than the state of the tire art in the mid-60's was,and for
$140 for 5.......IMPORTANT NOTE:If you have wire wheels, make certain you
 have good rubber rim bands or duct tape the rims like crazy, or the
spokes will abrade-and puncture-the tubes.At night.In outer Mongolia.On
your way to a formal event in a rented Tuxedo.
        -Jeff "that was there when I rented it!" Smith
        1968 4/4 1600