Re: front end (conclusion?)

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: front end (conclusion?)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:39:36 -0400
At 08:36 AM 7/28/97 -0400, William Zehring wrote:
>Fellow mog-o-philes:
>
>... I completed the front end rebuild without event, other than a rather
>stupid accident I had involving a hydraulic floor jack.....

Will, glad to hear you got it done!  Not too bad a job once you've done it
before or have some guidance as to how to do it!

>...  Though my front end shimmy is not completely eradicated, it is
> diminished by a great deal, such that cruising in the 50-65 mph range
> doesn't rattle my eyeballs like it did before.

Check out the article on front end vibration.  A couple of additional hint
in that one.  Are you running bias or radial tires?  Last summer I put a
set of bias tires on the front of mine and my vibration went away.  There
was quite some discussion at that time about the radial vs the bias tires.
Many of the fellows are running radials without much problems.

One other thing, try not to drive in the vibration zone.  Now that you have
a new front end.  If you get much vibration, it can cause excessive wear
on the parts you just installed.

>Two things I noticed that I'd appreciate comment on:
>--the steering seems a tad stiffer after reassembly
>--the car doesn't easily return to straight ahead forward motion after a
>turn, like it used to.

Could be a result of:
   1. tighter fit of the bushings on the kingpins,
   2. tighter fit on the dampener blades,
   3. and the toe in.

I think I have some info on DIY front end alignments in some of the front
end articles or the one on front end vibrations.

Keep em rolling!!

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire