Remember When?

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Remember When?
From: Fred Kuzyk <msccc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:01:12 -0700
Dear Listers,
Remember the days when clubs were small (or there weren't any for your
particular segment) and enthusiasts (sports car, British, racing,
whatever) got together for some fun? Remember when someone would invite
members, or friends, enthusiasts, guests to their home for a get
together? The days before big events, trophies, registration fees, and
"Fortune 500" budgets were needed to get people to come out & come
together? The days before: glossy newsletters (you were lucky to have a
sporadic, single page!), or the un-ceasing drive to increase membership,
or "Members Only Please" Affairs (when "Membership" only included a
rag-tag, informal hand-full of like minded individuals). The days before
smog legislation worries, politics, fund-raising concerns, before
several months notice was needed to get a gathering listed on some
calendar somewhere, or inter-club competition raised concerns over
"dillution" ("We can't support THAT, otherwise we'll get less of our
people out for OUR members-only event next weekend"!)?  Do you remember
those simpler days? Gosh, we sure do! Maybe you can't turn back the
clock, but in that spirit we'd like to extend an invitation to an "old
time" BBQ in the Toronto area, open to all clubs, members, enthusiasts.
There will be no judging, fees, or parts for sale, nor any "sign-up here
to join", AND your British car doesn't have to be on the road to attend!
The hosts are providing the BBQ beef. They ask that attendees provide a
pot luck item as well, & BYOB.
        WHERE: A Farm in Stouffville (North of Toronto, Canada)
        WHEN: August 16, 2:30PM onwards
        Tech session at 4:30
        Eats at 6-6:30 (Beef supplied by host)
        Entertainment (Climax Jazz Band) at 8PM onwards
        REQUIREMENTS: Pot Luck item & BYOB. Please RSVP IN ADVANCE, so
the
hosts may calculate an adequate amount of beef! CALL: Peter & Heather
McCowan to RSVP & receive directions at (905)888-1151.

Recently, a couple of local enthusiasts organized a non-competitive,
non-commercial event called Empire Day, with the backing of their club.
A gathering at a Conservation Area, the only charge was the regular park
entrance, it was a family type celebration of all things British. It
included cars, boats, bikes, and had food & entertainment. This first
time event transcended boundaries & struck a chord, as over 150 cars & a
goodly number of British bikes were present! Perhaps there is enthusiasm
for opportunities to just "party", without the "Brand X" or "Brand Y"
designations! Some clubs & groups don't wish to interact. Like Greta
Garbo "They want to be alone". Neither offering support or wanting any
from outsiders. That's their choice & it should be respected. They
represent whatever segment of the hobby & promote only those ends.
Personally, I feel interaction, co-operation & unity are benficial -
especially in these times. We're all in the same boat, we like old
cars/British cars, whatever. An organization can serve its membership
without excluding or ignoring the rest of the marques or segments that
comprise the hobby. I'm disappointed with groups that solicit support
for their money-making endeavours (which serve to keep themselves
solvent) from others, yet shun the others the rest of the year. Anything
offered by others is viewed as a threat to their "cash cow", or as a
threat to the erosion of their membership base. If you are confident in
your membership numbers & are satisfied with that level, perhaps you can
view things differently. I refuse to stage money making events for our
club. These days, I'm more inclined to support & promote charitable
activities, as I feel these do more for placing our hobby in a good
light with the community, than self-serving activities. Maybe smaller is
not better, and maybe you can't go back to the "old days" - but you can
try. I'd like to go back though, the cars, parts, and gasoline were a
lot cheaper, and smog was only in LA! I welcome your comments on any of
the above. My apologies if this isn't the right place for all this, but
I'm a relative newbie to the list & net.

Fred Kuzyk
President, Morgan Sports Car Club Canada
email: msccc@sympatico.ca
'67 Morgan 4/4
'69 Mustang 302 convertible
'85 Mustang SVO