Re: Plus 8 Engine Color

To: "David E. Labovitz" <del@pscc.com>
Subject: Re: Plus 8 Engine Color
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:34:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, David E. Labovitz wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied -- now I'll have to figure out how best
> to get the paint off.  I suppose it'll run cooler, as well.
>
> Dave.
>
> >Now that the question of underskirt color has been dealt with, I'd like
> >to enquire as to anyone's knowledge of engine block color.  The block of
> >my '71 Plus 8 has been painted several colors, but I have no idea what
> >might be a reasonable choice.

        Usually, hot tanking settles the question as to what to do to get
        the old paint off (most engine repaints occur on total rebuild)
        however, your +8 is an aluminum block so standard hot tanking is
        "right out" (though there are engine cleaning solvents for
        aluminum)...  You might want to look at the aircraft paint
        removers... however as the Scots say "gang warily".

        I painted my TR4's block light-medium gray... it allows me to
        check for leaks... Not that I can do anything about them... I just
        like to watch for them :)

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois