RE: Plus 8 Engine Color

To: "'Gregory Petrolati'" <gpetrola@prairienet.org>,
Subject: RE: Plus 8 Engine Color
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:51:36 -0400
Greg, John

John writes:

>I just started trying something here with the steel blocks.  If you don't
>have to pull the engine down, we have been sandblasting them.  I've got a
>pressure blaster and it does a great job of cleaning everything up.  The
>only thing you have to be careful to plug all the holes!!!!  So far we've
>done 2 V8s and I've got to do my Morgans one of these days.
>
>This should work no the AL pretty well also.  If you are worried, start
>       working someplace not too visable, and try different media and
pressures.

Aluminum is a lot softer than steel and it might be better to use
(ground up) walnut shells rather than sand as an abrasive in blasting.
Finely ground walnut shells have been used to clean up the inside of
pressure tubes in nuclear reactors, I seem to remember.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4, P.2473/V.345.ME
'85 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo
'86 MR2