Beam Me Up Moggy!

To: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Beam Me Up Moggy!
From: "Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 14:00:51 -0400
At 07:29 AM 9/6/97 -0900, you wrote:

>Does anyone have any recommendations (positive or negative) on auto
>transport companies?  I may need to move a +4 from Seattle to
>Albuquerque.  Are open transports relatively safe?  Any thoughts would be
>appreciated.  Thanks
>
>Bob Alexander

No, Bob, I have had no experience nor can make any recommendations.
However, I was very close to having a car transported last year about this
time and got lots of advice from people who have used these types of companies.

In a nutshell, the advice was:

                Get recommendations from previous customers.... ask the
transport company for names of users.

                Give the company leeway for pick up and delivery dates so
they can schedule several cars in the same general direction.  The less
leeway, the higher the rate.

                Enclosed trailers are easier on the car... IF you get a top
berth.

                If you get a lower berth, make sure your car is covered to
protect from oil leaks and falling nuts and bolts from the beast above.

                Get a firm quote before they load your car.

As you have done here... ask around and find happy customers.  I visited the
Ferrari conclave last spring in Virginia and saw several of the carriers
trucks parked in the lot who have the full page ads in Hemmings.  I guess if
they are successful enough to support full page ads and carry Ferrari's they
might pass muster for a hand crafted Morgan.  Obvously a few do most of the
business.

Good luck.

Gary
1991 +8