RE: endurance

To: <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: endurance
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:12:20 -0700
Another ~40 year old responds:

  Back in '73-78 I was a turn worker for the International Conference of
Sports Car Clubs (a regional parallel to SCCA) as well as a few SCCA
events.  At the time there was a group of about 3 Canadians that came down
with Morgans that proceeded to clean everyones clock almost every time.
One of them was the late GB Sterne (who almost single-handedly accounted
for the current population of Morgans in the Pacific Northwest and western
Canada).

  Also about that time, my dad owned a '71 Citroen DS 21 Pallas.  The
mechanic he found to work on the car was from New Zealand and owned a
Morgan 3-wheeler (sorry, I don't know any more about it).  On occasion, my
dad would hint that perhaps a Morgan might be a good car to own.

  Fast forward to '88 and what should fall into my hands but Bouden's (sp?)
book ("Morgan: 'The Last of the Great Sports Cars").  Hmmm.  After passing
on acquiring an orange over chocolate 4/4 roadster (Child 1.0 had just been
installed), I settled on a '62 Plus 4 4 Seater in dire need of work.  Alas,
it still needs work.

  After toodling along with the local Morgan club at the back of the line
in the Mog-wanna-be Mazda for several years, I couldn't take it any longer
and found the '68 Plus 4 4 Seater (acquired in 1993) which was (and still
is) roadworthy.

  Elapsed Awareness/Interest Time: ~24 years
  Elapsed Ownership Time: 9 years
  Elapsed Driving Time: 3 years
  Total Ownership Time: 12 years (9 + 3)

Michael D. Miles, PE
'62 Plus 4, 4 seater (hanger queen)
'68 Plus 4, 4 seater
'84 Fiero (tupperware car)
'90 Plymouth Grand Voyager (with wood-grain shelf paper on the side)