Timing Set. It Runs!

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing Set. It Runs!
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:11:16 -0400
Thanks to all for your help.

I ended up using a long 3/8" wooden dowel to feel #1 piston as it came to TDC.

Jacked up the right rear wheel onto an axle stand and had my daughter
gently rotate the wheel back & forth around the TDC point. I then marked
the pulley with paint, but I couldn't get a file in there to notch the edge.

In any event, I was able to set the timing and the car now runs pretty well.

Any suggestions as to what might cause very difficult cranking on
restarting the hot engine? Grounds are good. Tested voltage drop at the
starter and it seems fine.

This is a very low milage car (14,500). I bought it in 1989 with 5500
supposedly original miles, but the engine had been rebuilt, presumably
because it had been abused in storage. It now shows about 25% blowby on a
leakdown test when warm, so I don't think the compression's too high for
the starter. I don't get any pinging under load, so I don't think the
timing's too far advanced.

Could the starter be bad? Or maybe it's just that I need a bigger battery.

Your kind suggestions are most welcome.

Regards.

Jerry Murphy