More on Timing

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on Timing
From: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 10:14:03 -0700
I've been following the "finding the TDC" thread with interest, since I
don't use a timing light to properly time the engine.  What I've done
with all cars I've owned in the past and with the Mog is to set the
dwell angle and adjust the distributor enough so I can get the engine
started.  Then I retard the timing until the idle rpm's drop somewhat
and advance it slightly again.  The final adjustment is made on the
road.  I retard the timing a little at a time until engine knock or
pinging goes away on hard acceleration or going up a hill.  It's a lot
easier than worrying about finding the proper mark on the pulley,
getting a smooth enough idle so the mark won't move all over the place,
and having to disconnect the vacuum advance so it won't foul up your
measurements.  I gave up using a timing light some time back.  Am I the
only one doing it this way?

Armando Picciotto
'63 +4