Re: Morgan Books

To: Mike Hartley <mganut@accucomm.net>
Subject: Re: Morgan Books
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:47:40 +0100
Mike Hartley <mganut@accucomm.net> writes

>I am looking for advice on good books about Morgans, specifically the 4
>cylinder variety.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

There are quite a few books out there! I have a number, so here are a
few highlights/lowlights,

        most recent purchase    "Morgans to 1997, A collectors guide"
                                Roger Bell, Motor Racing Publications
                                Ltd. ISBN 1-899870-20-2
A good short history, including the more recent developments. The odd
typo howler, page 53, the "Smog Mog", (where the four seat drophead is
refered to correctly in the body of the text!)

        favourite book          "Original Morgan" John Worrall and Liz
                                Turner, Bay View Books Ltd.
                                ISBN 1-870979-29-X
Really good pictures and slightly eccentric text. A good looking well
presented book, now ageing a bit.

        most used               "Morgan Four Owners Workshop Manual", R.
                                Clarke, Brooklands Books,
                                ISBN 1-870642-63-5
It's not especially good, but it is available. As a basis for
understanding what might be there, it is fine,  but my car's finer
details ar'n't the same! (a cry for most Morgan owners, I guess!)

        most disappointing      "Morgan, the last survivor", Chris
                                Harvey, The Oxford Illustrated Press
                                Ltd, Haynes Publishing Group,
                                ISBN 0-946609-28-4
Lots of good black and white pictures, but the text contains a few
inaccuracies, not as good as the Gregory Houston Bowden "Morgan, First
and last of the real sports cars", Haynes, ISBN 0-85429-443-0. This was
a close run catagory as the Ken Hill trilogy, "Completely Morgan, three
wheelers 1910-1952", "CM, four wheelers 1936-68" and "CM, from 1968" is
ultimately disapointing, being expensive in total and containing too
much repeated material.

I hope this helps in the deliberations.

What I want is a real copy of "Moggie, the purchase, maintenance and
enjoyment of Morgan sports cars", by Colin Musgrove. My photocopy is
looking dog eared and the book is now long out of print. A revised and
updated version has been promised for some time.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4