Damper Blades-What For And How Do You (Ah) Test Them?

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Damper Blades-What For And How Do You (Ah) Test Them?
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 07:57:30 -0400
     My tenure as a Morgan owner is short (two years) but event-filled. The
     one device on the car that I've never seen before on other cars, in
     one form or another, are these damper blades in the front suspension.

     I am now continuing my effort to get a fairly severe front suspension
     shimmy out of the system. It started when I put Michelin radials on
     instead of HM Tourist Avons six months ago. After two attempts at
     balancing, adjusting the brakes so there's no drag (which helped for a
     while, they're still ok) the shimmy's back.

     Before I go up to Lime Rock for the last time at the end of this
     month, I am determined to root out this shimmy devil. Tomorrow AM I
     will jack up the front end, assume the lotus position in front of the
     car and see what happens. I don't really know what a "bad" damper
     blade looks like and thought if any of the assemblage has had
     experience with this aspect of the front suspension and thoughts to
     share, it might make my task easier.

     By the way, if you've found other things than balance, brake
     adjustment and wear and tear (the front end's all brand new as of one
     year ago) to cause such a shimmy, I'd surely appreciate your insights
     here.

     Thanks, in advance!

     Chip Brown