Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs

To: Fred_H._Birkbeck@eol.ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck),
Subject: Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 02:44:56 -0400
Fred, how much material do you find at oil changes? What's an acceptable
range? Any ideas?

I remember getting an orientation flight on a Navy T(38?) two seat piston
engined trainer. We were told about one very important warning light that
came on if the magnetic drain plug in the oil sump collected enough ferrous
metal to bridge a contact. I suppose wiring a contact switch to a magnetic
collector is overkill for a car, but it's a pretty neat concept. Fred's
fabrication is a clever and elegant fix.

Jerry Murphy