Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs

To: Murphys@ziplink.net
Subject: Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@eol.ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 08:36:47 +1000
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for your comments.
I do not worry about the amount of metal on the magnet.  Suffice to say, the
magnet gets cleaned each oil change.  The amount (on my near new engine) seems
to be about as much as would cover your little finger nail to a depth of about
1/32" (very tehnical and precise volume :-).
I understand why aircraft may need to monitor collected, unwanted material on a
magnetic sump plug.  The more that collects, the more the magnetic flux
reaching out into the oil is reduced (therefore catching less ferrous  metal).
The important issue here is if the engine fails in an aircraft, you crash! ...
very important....
Now in a Morgan, if the engine fails, you coast to the nearest pub, have a
drink to settle the nerves, fix the problem with a hammer and fencing wire, and
proceed in a car probably as relaible and close as one can get to original
Morgan specs :-)
Best regards,  Fred.