Re: test

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: test
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:49:01 -0500
Mogowner wrote:

>have the factory build a new frame, skinned in aluminum, then fit my existing
>wings after all has been painted. I'm a little hesitant to try this; what if
>it doesn't fit?? Has anyone purchased a body from the factory and fitted it
>to their car?

In 1979 I purchased a body that had sat in a barn, wearing only factory
primer,  for, I believe, 10-12 years.

I put it on a frame that I had purchased in 1975-76(ish) and attached wings
that I had purchased at the same time as the frame, and rear fenders that I
bought in 1973, when I first bought the car. (remember all that, there'll
be a test at the endt..8-)).

Overall, everything seemed to go together quite well. If I remember
correctly there was ample metal in the new wings that they could be
trimmed, where needed, to fit.

The car was assembled in primer, then taken apart for painting.

The only enduring problem is that the bonnet halves do not line up
perfectly with the front of the body and the cowl. It seems to me that at
the factory, the bonnet halves would be "fit" to the car after the car had
been assembled, ensuring that those "lines" would match.

Altogether, it was a pretty straightforward project.

Of course, it might be a totally different story with a 4/4.... :-)

Good luck with your project.

Scott Barrie
1963 Plus 4