Re: Bonnet Contact with Wings

To: "Wildbil923@aol.com" <Wildbil923@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Bonnet Contact with Wings
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 21:40:48 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Bill
I think John has hit the nail on the head  regarding  replacement panels
needing "adjusting" .The last car I did which required  new valances  had
the same contact problem. I choose to  undo the rolled wire in the bonnet
and redo the bonnet edge.  My advise would be NOT to take that route. If
needed I'd modify the valance .

Having said that here are some points to check before you break out the five
LBS hammer to start 'adjusting 'the valance;

You said " trial fit ' , if by that you mean ' not all nuts bolts and screws
fitted and tightened , that could be the problem.  The bar which runs
between valances behind the radiator,  if  not attached,  will  permit the
fenders to lay outward  and  close up the gap between the bonnet and wing.
Also the fenders take a dip right where you are  experiencing  contact. If
the screws are not attached  the fender could be bridging the dip .

If you  grab the front cowl on the sides and squeeze in ( screws not ,or
loosely attached)  you'll find the bonnet rises .

All this also works to adjust the bonnet gaps. The problem comes with
getting the bonnet , fenders, cowls and valances to all fit together nicely.
 My answer was to make all screw holes oval so I had adjustment room. Once I
had every thing  fitting perfectly I drilled  alignment  holes between the
key pieces so when I have to remove a fender or cowl I can reinstall it
without all the adjusting.

A s for Johns request for information on adjusting the bonnet gap, well
that's  like knotting a tie, Its something that  I  can do in my sleep (
come to think of it I do most of the time) but like everyone else, I could
not talk some one through it).*

Now let me get back to that posting regarding the high speed problem with
the +8 . there's got to be a good way to gig Will  in that one .

Bob Nogueira

> Date: Monday, 15-Dec-97 06:41 PM
>
> From: Wildbil923@aol.com       \ America Online: (WILDBIL923)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Bonnet Contact with Wings
>
> Everyone has been most helpful with the trials and tribulations of my late
> fifties Mog Plus Four restoration project.  Thanks everyone.  All previous
> problems have been resolved with most of the credit due to the list.  I've
got
> another question.
>
> I'm now doing a test fitting of the sheet metal.  I notice, when the
bonnet
> halves are down and latched that each half makes metal to metal contact
with
> the wings (fenders)  sort of mid-way along the length of the bonnets.  The
Mog
> I'm restoring has a new chassis frame and valances so it's certainly
possible
> that the combination of old and new parts has affected the fit of things.
My