Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan

To: MJBisHere@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan
From: harris_simmons@juno.com (Charles A Harris)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:59:18 -0600
Mike,
Only if you love the car, which how can you not, ah-a '38 wonderful.  But
again the wrong question.  The question with a Morgan can never be what
is it worth, but what will she do.  No one is going to remember a hundred
years from now how much you spent on anything or made from its resale.
Who wants to lay on their deathbed and say that everything they did was
for economic reasons?  Scrooge obviously did not own a Morgan.  Is your
friends offer worth while. Can she(The Hesprius), after all this effort
to put her back on the road, be a pleasure to you ?  I watched as
Nogueria built the Duchess over what ended up a short period of time in
Morgan restorations.  Now these many years later as he arrives back from
another road adventure (this year was Alaska) I remember him in the
middle of a chassis, surrounded by bits of raw wood with C clamps
everywhere, being pushed down the street to arrive in his Morgan to a
club event.  Any of the problems I have had with Matilda pale in
comparison to the efforts put out by many of my friends in their dealings
with rebuilds.  Effort might be in fact what determines our values
concerning our Morgans.  I take great pride in knowing about the kind of
legacy that many of these rough riders establish in the maintaince of
their machines.  Most of them I have noticed through the years do not
drive Morgans because others will notice them or because the cars have
become a good investment, but because they just like driving Morgans.
Besides, bless all our hearts, perhaps our only legacy will be that we
are remembered only in the line of ownership a particular Morgan 10
generations from now.  Do it. Be a part of history.
Chuck Harris
'66 4/4 and a' 60 4/4 that is a fixen to get fixed one of these days