Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan

To: "Charles A Harris" <harris_simmons@juno.com>, <MJBisHere@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Thinking of buying a 1938 4-4 Morgan
From: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserm@actsnet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:55:25 -0600
Mike:

I would ask you two questions first:
1.  Do you enjoy long term projects?  Restoring a Morgan as previously
stated can and most often is a long term project.

2. Are you looking for a Morgan because you want to enjoy driving the car?

Mine is a 67 4/4 Competition.  I looked at many project cars and came to the
conclusion that I wanted a runner.  (A runner is a car that is together,
runs, but needs work.  You can expect to spend $10K to $14K for a runner
depending on area, model and condition.)  I joined MOGMOG (that's the
Houston area Morgan Club), subscribed to Hemming's and this news group.

Last November a gentleman in our club  that owned a 67 red 4/4 passed away.
He had just finished a multi-year restoration and was able to take her to
one club outing as a restored vehicle under her own power.  In January I put
a deposit down on Scarlet.  Mine cost and is much more than a runner.

I am very thankful to Frank for all the work, love and care he put into
Scarlet.  He has a part in her history.  I am sure he enjoyed what he did,
but it goes to show the amount of time that you can spend.

I have said all this to say, it all comes down to: what do you want.  A
project which after you have  hopefully finished you can say "Look what I
did." or a beautiful sports car you can enjoy today.  There is no wrong
answer except maybe, walking away from a car and wishing years later you had
made a different choice.

There are probably as many differing opinions as there are Morgans and the
only opinions on Morgans that count are those made by Morgan owners.

My respects and Merry Christmas to Chuck, Bob and Colin.

Steve Bauserman
67 Morgan 4/4
83 Mercedes 300SD
96 Cherokee Country