Oil Temp gauge in SS Morgan

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Temp gauge in SS Morgan
From: deemi@juno.com (Robert M Bowie)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 00:00:36 EST
Our Morgan SS has an odd addition of an Oil temp Gauge, smiths, and is
listed from the factory with a cast Aluminum Sump in 1963.  The records I
have show the SCCA listing in 1962 for the SS Morgan the Aluminum Sump,
V4-10-211, a kastner book in this period listing for the TR-4 #502126.

I have a question, does this sump (no longer with my car) come with an
adapter for the oil temp, and this would hint it came from the factory?

Would it be "custom" added, and can it be ordered today,  perhaps more
important, does anyone have one on their car?  I would hope for more
information on what was original in order to do this correctly.  The
original engine on our car, after racintg 1600 total miles by Fergus
Motors and Don Griemel ended up blowing  a rod out of the block on the NJ
interstate in 1964.  The dealer had taken the limited slip out and
replaced with another rear (court documents from 1965).
Any help appreciated on this cars proper restoration.
Best Regards,
Cameron, Lori and Bob Bowie of Maine
P.O. Box 3751
Brewer, Maine 04412