Re: electric Windshields

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: electric Windshields
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:32:01 +1000
Dear Bob,

My 1973 4/4 roadster has airbags of the same design. Probably one of the
last cars fitted with these. I once experimented with bucket seats (plus 4
supersports replicas) but found them much less comfortable than the old
bench seat back and blow up cushions. I had not until now considered other
safety advantages associated with these seats.

Do you have your defrosters wired in parallel or series? This might solve
the 12 volt/6 volt issue. There is also some sort of gel available to help
the suction cups hold over extended periods of time. I have never found
defrosting a problem as long as you leave the roof off (now there's a
challenge for those in colder climes). A windsreen wiper on the inside of
the screen would however be a definite advantage.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
>>From the 'There's Nothing New Only Different  Department:
>
>When I checked with the factory as to how my 1964 Plus four was equipped
>when it left Malvern they listed  'Defrosters'  as one of the options. I
>never could find any signs of duct work or anything which resembled
>defrosters.  On a visit  to the factory I asked an old timer how they
>installed defroster in 1964. He said they simply use an electric defroster
>made by Lucas which plugged into the inspection socket..
>A few years latter i saw a pair on a Morgan . They were a 8 inch by 1 inch
>metal plate with suction cups on the end and toaster wire strung between the
>suction cups. I later acquired a pair of American made Electric defrosters
>of the same design  which were made in the 30 s or 40's.  Being 6 volts
>operating on a 12 volt system they tend to get quite hot .  Coupled with the
>tendency to fall off the windshield on to your lap, I have always been so
>engrossed with trying to keep them out of my lap that I've never noticed if
>they actually worked
>They do  however, make great toast.
>
>As for air bags, my 64 came with those too.  Of course you have to lift  up
>off the seat, pull the bladder out and manually place it between you and the
>dash board,.
>
>Bob Nogueira
>1964 Plus 4
>1962 Plus 4 DHC ( with fenders and not much else attached )
>

>_____________________________________

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre