Re: Hinges

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Hinges
From: tjsouz@epix.net
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:36:32 -0800
> Problem  2   How can I drill out a  egg shaped hole so the bore centering is
>the same ?
> Problem 3   Given the close tolerance needed for the fit of the pin in the
>bore, should I use a ream ?

Hi Bob,  I think I would try to center the hole by clamping the hinge to
the vertical flange of a piece of angle iron.  First clamp the angle
iron on the drill press table and drill a hole the size of the pin in
the horizontal flange close to the vertical wall.  the distance from the
vertical wall corresponds to the pin location when the hinge opened out
flat is clamped to the vertical flange.  The bottom of the pin is now
located by the hole and now the top of the pin must be centered to the
drill point.  Drill out the pin with a drill smaller than the pin
diameter.  Redrill with the correct drill for the new pin.  Assemble.

As with all brainstorms of this nature, there's bound to be some details
to be worked out.  Anyway you asked for suggestions and here's one.

I am quite interested in your solution, because I'd like to do the same
thing to the door hinges on our '58 +4.  One could always buy new
hinges,  but where's the challenge?

Regards, Tony Souza
'58 +4 Rdstr, '58 4/4 Rdstr, '31 SS Aero, '36 4-4 Rdstr, and now '51 +4
4-Str.