Hinges

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hinges
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 22:32:41 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Okay folks I'm looking for some suggestions here. Shortly I'll be building
the doors for the Drophead . One requirement is good hinges. The hinges I
have are some what worn.  I was planning on buying new hinges but  during
one of  those  long breaks you take in  the garage where you just sit and
imagine what this pile of metal is going to look like when its finished,  I
was struck with he fact that this DHC is going to have to have Chrome wires,
not painted.  Soooo I need to start looking for "budget adjustment's' to the
tune of about $500 dollars,  Hinges seem like a good place to start.
Problem :  1 . should I attempt to drill out the hinges and use a bigger pin
or should I drill out only the worn half and  make a bushing to return it to
the original 1/4 inch pin size?
Problem  2   How can I drill out a  egg shaped hole so the bore centering is
the same ?
Problem 3   Given the close tolerance needed for the fit of the pin in the
bore, should I use a ream ?    How do you  ream ?    ( I've been reamed many
times but have never taken notes as to how it was done )

Thanks  for any suggestions

Bob Nogueira
     PS  Am I the only one who sometime thinks that Pete Egan  has me under
surveillance and  is reading my mind ?