Re: Telescopic rear shock conversion

To: "Williams, Rick" <rick.williams@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Telescopic rear shock conversion
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:02:54 -0500
At 11:32 AM 2/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a '51 flat rad that I am reassembling, starting with the rear
>suspension.
>
>Would anyone care to comment or expound on the pros and cons on the
>telescopic rear shock conversion kit sold my Melvyn Rutter and others?
>1. Is the improvement in handling worth the cost? (I'm a low-budget,
>do-it-yourself type.)
>2. Is it wise to install the kit now when the chassis is exposed, or could
>the conversion be done later without much trouble?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rick Williams
>'51 Plus 4

Rick,

Let me endorse the rear shock conversion.  While I have little experience
with Morgans without the shock system, my +8 has been converted and it rides
great.  I am told that Mog's tend to "bang" when the rear wheels drop into
holes or experience other extreme changes in the weight at the rear.  The
shocks really dampen the rear and cause an almost comfortable ride.  Gives
greater control at speed too.

In my Morgan research there are tales of rear end "kick-up" which results in
the axle banging against the chassis, causing the chassis to actually
bend... leaving body panels ill fitted and doors misaligned.  The shock
system will help keep everything straight.

The only consideration is that with the conversion, your car is no longer
"stock" from the "restoration" aspect, and will probably be marked down in
concourse judging.  But you'll enjoy the cars ride much more.

Just my 2c worth.

Gary
Grafton OH
1991 +8