Re: Newbie Needs Insights and Encouragements

To: "J.D. Welch" <jdwelch@datawing.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Newbie Needs Insights and Encouragements
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 23:54:12 -0500

Get an Acura NSX. If you're a "man of some means" and with no mechanical
interest, spend your money, save your time, and stay away from Morgans. The NSX
will run reliably forever and has a decent heater. Those of us who own these
Morgan things ENJOY working on them. We are thrilled at the prospect of actually
fixing 'em. I, personally, have two Honda vehicles (an '88 and a '90 Acura) and
a Toyota (a '97 Land Cruiser) AND I NEVER TOUCH THEM, except to air the tires
and put fluids in them. First of all, I don't understand how they work, and
secondly, nothing ever goes wrong with them. My wife's '90 Acura has 120,000
miles on it, and is only now starting to drip and, occasionally, sputter. The
'88 has 144,000 miles and still has the original clutch, runs like a champ. I
don't even wash these cars myself: it's too boring.

If I hated to work on cars, I'd sell the Morgan in a minute and go get an NSX. I
own it because I like working on it. If I just wanted a really good driver,
there are about 40 cars out there that outperform the Morgan, are better built,
and more reliable. None prettier, granted. (Washing the Morgan is almost a
sexual experience.)

But getting out there, as I did this past weekend, putting a new "improvement"
on the Morgan car (a decent grounding strap from the starter to the frame, in
this instance) fills me with child-like wonder that I can still do this sort of
thing.

If that sounds like fun to you and a few sessions with an analyst don't seem to
make any difference in your viewpoint, then go find yourself a nice tatty Morgan
and go to town! Otherwise, continue to rely on the kindness of Morgan owners for
your Morgan experience.

Chip Brown