Re: mirrors

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: mirrors
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 98 18:10:42 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

    From the ' Everyone probably already knew this except me Department '

I had a Lucas wing mirror that I modified several years ago so that it would
mount on the left front  side screen mount giving me a removable side mirror
.  Last  fall  while crossing some railroad tracks I made the mistake of
allowing the wheels to touch ground, the mirror fell off and I managed to
drive over it .
Anyway for the past few months I felt lost without the left side mirror. I
looked  for one in motorcyle shops, auto shops and everywhere else but any
mirror  I found that might be made to work  required lots of modification or
had the " right at home on a  Ford Escort ' look .

Well,  two weeks ago while looking for some parts in the MOSS catalog  (for
my MGBGT) I ran across  a  '  Later Lucas Style Mirror '  (know to Moss as
223-310)   For 15 dollars I  took a chance  and ordered one .   Well talk
about a perfect  fit for the Morgan !   All chrome, with the same round
mirror as the original fender mirror but a stem which is about a inch or two
longer .  It mounts via two  screws  holes and  fits to the door without
interfering with the side screens.  Looks like it was made for the Morgan
and  as a bonus it gives a perfect view  rearward without the rear fender
blocking the view .

This one fits the looks of the Morgan so well that I went ahead and drilled
the     needed  holes to mount it  permanently.

Bob Nogueira
 .
PS :  as a additional benifit  the mirror fills that hole under the
windwings blocking that draft which seems to hit me in the side of the face
.

Windwings !!! Now theres a  future thread !!!!!!!!!

> Date: Sunday, 22-Mar-98 05:34 PM
>
> From: Gary L. Kneisley         \ Internet:    (kneisley@ohio.net)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: folding windshield and mirrors
>
> Will, Vern, Fred and all,
>
> The discussion of the folding winscreen is interesting and prompts me to
ask a
> mechanical question.
>
> My '91 +8 came to me with the folding windscreen and Brooklands racing
screens
> (Cantab issue as they were not part of the original build list as provided
by
> the works, but was on the original bill of sale to the first owner).
>
> My question deals with the rearview mirror.  I currently have a
contemporary
> mirror which is rather stuck to the middle of the glass (looks like scotch
> double sided tape from here), and when the windscreen is in the folded
> position, reflects to the sky, not the view behind the driver.
>
> The windscreen has a small "L" shaped tab which extends below the center
of the
> lower edge of the windscreen and features a hole through which, I assume,
> screw helped secure the screen to the scuttle, before it became a folding
unit.
>  The tab appears to be soldered, brazed or otherwise attached to the
winscreen
> frame before plating, so removing it would be difficult. Meanwhile it
covers
> the spot where a scuttle mounted mirror might sit.
>
> I know the Americanized mirror has some mysterious rules regarding
placement,
> but have not yet discovered their details.
>
> Can anyone shed some light?  Do any of the other, more contemporary
Morgans