Re:

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re:
From: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserman@actsnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:28:10 -0500
Bob:

Hope you do not need a new crank, but it kind of sounds that way.  The info
on the bearings is good to have.  It appears things in Texas are not all
that great at the moment.

This will have to fall in the misery loves company department.  We brought
Scarlet back from the MOGMOG trip to the hill country on three forward
gears.  First and reverse were gone.

The problem was one of the three fingers on the clutch pressure plate had
broke and in turn destroyed the throw-out bearing.  The bad news is the
three finger style pressure plate is no longer made and the diaphragm style
is shorter.  That means a spacer must be fabricated to go on the hub the
throw-out bearing mounts on to move it closer to the fly wheel.

None of this is really a big deal until you realize it all has to be done in
five days because the car is entered in a show this coming week-end and I am
out of town two days this week on business.  We drove home Sunday afternoon
unpacked the car, ate lunch and waited for the engine to cool off.  Then I
went to work.  I think I now have engine pulling down to a science.  It took
two hours from the time I picked up the first wrench until the engine
cleared the cowl on the hoist.

The parts are due from Dave Bean Engineering on Thursday morning and I pick
up the spacer at the machine shop Friday morning.  Only time will tell at
this point if Scarlet makes it to the show.  I think it looks good, but
there is no room for a mistake.

Steve Bauserman
67 Morgan 4/4
83 Mercedes 300SD