Re: Info wanted on 1958 4/4

To: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Subject: Re: Info wanted on 1958 4/4
From: John Bigler <jbigler@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 00:01:04 -0400
Steve Moore wrote:

> Perhaps someone can help with this,
>
> A friend has just parchased a 1958 Series II 4/4. This car was imported to
> Oz recently and is in many pieces. The car was originally sold in the USA
> through Fergus Imported Cars, New York.
>
> Both the engine and the chassis have been replaced and the original numbers
> are not with the car, although the documentation lists 2 engine numbers
>
> 771 ENTO 1P/100E 5017
>
> and
>
> 771 ENRO 11/100E 6017
>
> The numbers on the bonnet hinge are 142230 and the Fergus stock number is
> 19811.
>
> I'm unsure as to how the numbers on the bonnet on a 4/4 relate to engine or
> chassis numbers. I know there was a relationship between these numbers on
> the plus 4s and on my 1973 4/4 the numbers are the same as the last 4
> digits of the engine number.
>
> The last owner in the USA was Viggo M. Blegvad in Michigan. The car was
> part of a deceased estate so I don't believe Viggo will be of much help!
>
> Do Fergus Cars still exist and would they have any records? Can you relate
> the numbers on the bonnet to a chassis number on early 4/4s? I believe the
> factory will only act on chassis numbers if information on a car is
> requested so any info would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Moore
>
> Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers
>
> Dr. Stephen Moore
> CSIRO Tropical Agriculture
> Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
> Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories
> University of Queensland
> St. Lucia, 4072
> Australia
>
> ph  61 7 3214 2476
> fax 61 7 3214 2480
> email Steve.Moore@tag.csiro.au

Steve,

Since I haven't heard from you, I'll send this out again, assuming my
computer missed you...

On the surface, this sounds like it could be my old car!

Back in 1964, I purchased a 1958 4/4 Series II as my first car, when I
was a second year college student in Michigan.  The babbitt bearings in
the 100E engine gave out at 72 mph, and, not having the time or money to
do an engine rebuild, I substituted a Triumph Spitfire engine and
transmission.  (That was the thing to do back then.)

I sold the car for $750 in 1965, in East Lansing, Michigan, just before
I headed out to California for the summer, where I purchased a clean
1963 Austin Healey 3000 for $1250.  So, my 1958 Series II could have
eventually gone over to Viggo M. Blegvad in Michigan, even though he
wasn't my buyer in 1965.

Do you see any dark green original paint?  Are the bumpers MG-TD style
instead of the usual Morgan type?  (Mine curiously appeared to have them
from original delivery.)  The Spitfire engine would be a clue, but that
would likely have been swapped for a Ford crossflow engine when the
chassis was replaced.

If you think there's a chance it's the same car, I'll look for the old
registration and see if I have anything else of identification.  And, if
it is the same car, I should have some pictures and history that may be
of interest.

Cheers,
John Bigler
Annandale, NJ, USA