Re: Morgan air cleaners

To: HOOGLY@aol.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Morgan air cleaners
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:47:47 EDT
I've managed to create a pair of foam element air cleaners for under $20.00.
Stuff needed:  air filet mesh, or some sort of stainless screen, 4 pieces
about 3"x4"
                     filter foam
                     4 -  5/16 bolts with flat washers & lock nuts
                     3 - 5/16 ID spacers (maybe 4 if room for 2 on front carb)

Start with a cheapo standard air filter  that is at least 3 inches tall.  Cut
the wire mesh out of it.  Buy a replacement foam element for a Weiand, Holley,
or ??  aftermarket washable filter.  I used the base of a rectangular painter
thinner can to shape 4 mesh baskets, folding up about a 3/16 inch lip around
the edges.  Then cut 2 pieces for foam to match the shap of the mesh.  Match
one mesh part up to the rear carb, roughly centered, and mark the mounting
holes.  Do the same for 1 piece on the front carb.  On my Plus 4, it had to be
shifted as far rear as possible to get enough clearance.  Once they are both
marked, drill or cut bolt holes.  Then fit the foam and punch holes.  With the
foam in place, fit the other mesh pieces.  Once satisfied with the way the 2
meshes mate, remove the foam, replace the outer mesh and mark the bolt hole
locations.  Again drill them out.  Now make 2 1/4 inch spaces with an I.D. to
slip over the filter mounting bolts.  I usde a bit of copper tubing to make
mine.  Insert spacers in rear filter foam, put foam in meshes and bolt on rear
carb.  I used 5/16 bolts with a flat washer under the head and locknuts.  For
the front filter, I only had room for a spacer on the rear bolt.  For the
front bolt I tightened it just enough to leave room to close the bonnet.  I
also had to bend the lower edge of the filter in a bit to clear things.

Not fancy but they seem to work and were much less $$ than the airbox setup.

Cheers,

Ken Payne  63 Plus 4 4seater