Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel

To: LBlake@Newport.com
Subject: Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel
From: "Warden, Tom" <twarden@usia.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:29:15 -0400
I recently completed the restoration on my 1965 4/4 including the
Brooklands wheel.  If yours is not too badly damaged the repair is quite
simple. Enlarge the cracks (use file or hacksaw) to create an area that
will  hold the epoxy compound (POR-15 sells a kit) to make the repair.
After rough sanding to get the proper shape, continue to wet sand with
increasingly finer grit.  I went as far as 1500.  Polish the spokes and
then paint the rim.  Mine came out good enough to win it's class and best
of show at MOG-28 this summer.  If the wheel is really "shot", there are
several steering wheel restoration services listed in Hemmings Motor
News.  Prices run $300 - $400, or roughly the same price as a new
Brooklands wheel (reproduction) cast from the original moulds.

Good luck on your restoration.

Tom Warden
MCCDC/MSCC 8364
1965 4/4 - B1063