SV: Unleaded Conversion?

To: <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SV: Unleaded Conversion?
From: "Bjørn Schage" <schage@online.no>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:55:21 +0200
Hi Ben!

As long as you stay off the Volvo you should be all right...

Seriously; The problem with VSR (valve seat recession) will only present
itself if you drive at high RPM ( > 3500) for longer periods of time ( > 1
hour) like on the Motorway.      (Autobahn-driving is a killer). The
additives in "not-unleaded" fuel , usually potassium, is more than adequate
for the day-to-day use.

In Norway we haven't had leaded for quite some time now, and it doesn't seem
to be a problem even though I belive most people go for unleaded tops if
they have to change them anyway.

If you're set on using leaded fuel, find your local aero-club (as in flying,
not triking) and see if you can buy some gasoline for airplanes. It's
usually up to 5% lead, and you probably don't need more than 0,15% or less
to prevent VSR in your car. Just mix in a small amount every 2-3 tanks and
you'll be all right. ( take care though; it's pretty poisonous...)

Then a question: Did the Rover V8 run on unleaded from the start (pre-SD1).
In Classic and Sportscar some years back they stated that it did, but noone
else I have asked really know. ( Unleaded is significantly cheaper )

Happy Morganeering

Bjørn Schage
-62 +4 4-str.
-96 +8