Re: Unleaded Conversion?

To: Ben Hodgkiss <benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Conversion?
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:33:07 +0100
Ben Hodgkiss <benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk> writes

snip

>The car ran quite happily on 'Ersatz Blei' and 98 unleaded, but I am
>wondering what to do in the long term.
>
>    (a) carry on as now
        Cheap
        Probably not notice any change if the car is always driven
        gently, timing will have to be retarded slightly to compensate
        for the lower octane.
        If valve clearences reduce, the seats are eroding and new seats
        or head may be called for.
>    (b) have valve inserts put in the head
        No more than £250 or a head change. If the head is tired anyway,
        an unleaded head could be economic.
        Permanent cure- well, until petrol cars are outlawed altogether!
>    (c) trade it in for a Volvo
        Argggggghhhh!

My car has had the head transplant, the previous one was well worn and
the unleaded head was £22 more than a straight reconditioned one.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4