Unleaded Conversion?

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unleaded Conversion?
From: benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk (Ben Hodgkiss)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:05:32 +0100 (BST)
My recent jaunt round Europe in my 72 4/4 made me think quite
seriously for the first time about whether to convert to unleaded.
Of the six countries visited (Holland, Germany, Poland, Slovakia,
and the Czech Republic), leaded petrol was only available in one
(the Czech Republic). This almost completely reverses the situation
of two years ago, when it was available everywhere except
Holland and Germany.  Additionally leaded petrol will unavailable
in the UK to all intents and purposes after January 2000.

The car ran quite happily on 'Ersatz Blei' and 98 unleaded, but I am
wondering what to do in the long term.

    (a) carry on as now

    (b) have valve inserts put in the head

    (c) trade it in for a Volvo

Any comments on the pros and cons would be welcomed.

Ben

Ben Hodgkiss                           email: benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk
Network Manager                        phone: +44 (0)1432 260781
Environment Directorate                fax:   +44 (0)1432 261983
Herefordshire Council