Re: Series I Moss gearbox

To: Gary Moles <morgannz@manawatu.gen.nz>
Subject: Re: Series I Moss gearbox
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:14:44 -0700

Gary Moles wrote:

> Can anyone provide the instructions for adjusting the tension of the three
> springs at the top front of the gearbox. Car currently has to be held in
> gear and I believe that adjusting this tension will overcome the problem. Am
> I correct??
> Best regards
> Gary Moles.

  Popping out of first gear is usually the sign of more serious problems, but
you can try to fit stronger springs first.  Drain the oil first and check for
metal whis is a sure sign of a failing jackshaft and needle bearings which drops
the cluster gear.  If the oil is clean, then you can try stronger springs.

George Gerth
ggerth@west.net
63 +4