Advice

Subject: Advice
From: "Arlo J. Levisen" <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:34:46 +0300
DFLer's:

Gee, I haven't had this much advice since my last School Board meeting!
To respond:  No, Yes, Okay, No - I don't want a 4 cylinder Morgan, and
Okay again.

Now, I will tell you this story.  In the early part of September my
father's 80-year-old sister attended her granddaughter's wedding in
Ireland.  Since this is sort of an ethnic story I might as well say that
the granddaughter is a native of Fiji (which is a whole 'nother story).

My aunt then wrote a very nice description of the wedding and mentioned
that the groom, whom I presume to be Irish being he is from Ireland,
wore a kilt -which didn't quite fit into the picture, at least as far as
I could tell.

So, today I asked one of my Scottish buddies why an Irishman would wear
a kilt at his wedding?  His response was that he assumes him to be a
"cultural interloper" and he said that such was a big problem right here
in South Dakota.  Jack the Scotsman said that right near here in
Watertown, which is where he lives, a group of Irishmen infiltrated the
Scottish Highlander Bagpipe Corps, of which he was president, took
control of the treasury (which doesn't give me much confidence in either
group) and the started to play more Irish tunes on the bagpipes than
traditional, manly Scottish tunes.

Jack said he became so upset with this Irish cabal that he quite the
group of which he was president and has now joined the Aberdeen Scottish
Highlander Bagpipe Corps, which is in a town 100 miles away from
Watertown. So I presume he took up his kilts and, in a huff, went off to
join the "real" Highlanders.

So now I don't know if he answered my question, but I can see we have
some real problems out here in the sticks.  And, to boot, we now have an
Irishman married into our family who wore a kilt!  I'm a Scandanavian
and so some of this stuff is a little hard to understand.

I better get back to work.

Later,

Arlo Levisen, Revillo, South Dakota